Our Family Legacy
Catherine Curden, the daughter of Moses Curden and Jane Walley was born 1814 in Orrell, Lancashire, England.
On October 25, 1835, she married John Barton who was born 11 September 1811 in Winstanley, Lancashire, England. They were married in the Wigan Parish in Wigan.
John and Catherine were of the working class and their home was very modest. John related to his children that many times their meal consisted of porridge and bacon. They lived on Cross Brook Street, Orrell, close to where Johnís parents lived.
On night on the way home for the coal mine, her husband stopped to listen to two young men talking on a street corner. They were Mormon missionaries. The next night, John and Catherine went to a meeting that the missionaries held to hear what they had to say. They were impressed with their teachings and were converted. They were both baptized by John Kendall, a missionary to England. John was baptized on May 22, 1849 and Catherine was baptized three weeks later, June 15, 1849.
Catherine was the mother of eight children, five who lived to maturity
1, Alice, born May 28, 1837, died January 14, 1902, married James Walker.
2, Elizabeth, born June 15, 1839, died September 30, 1923, married Edward Jenkinson.
3. Jane or Ann, born July 24, 1841, died December 14, 1847. (Birth and death certificates and the 1841 Census give her name as Jane. Wigan Parish give name as Ann.)
4. Peter, born August 13, 1843, died August 14, 1843.
5. Margaret, born February 7, 1845, died April 28, 1895, married James Farrimond.
6. John, born March 18, 1847, died March 3, 1882, married Jane Beveridge. (John was know as John A after he came to Kaysville to distinguish himself from his cousin John who also lived in Kaysville.)
7. Peter, born March 22, 1850, died December 13, 1924 married Mary Sarah King
8. Daughter, born March 31, 1852, died April 1, 1852.
Catherine died nine day after her infant daughter died. It was a premature birth, the daughter lived only seven hours. Catherine died April 9, 1852 at the age of 38 years.
Catherineís death left John with five young children to raise, the eldest only 15 years old and the youngest two years.
feel free to contact
me with any questions or comments.